Use Jekyll to build F-Droid.org
If Wordpress on F-Droid.org is replaced by a static website generator, this has several advantages:
- Content is generated from public files and everyone can contribute to them
- Beside of that, the layout code will likely be simplified and is editable by everyone too (see #146 (closed))
- Improved performance because you use static HTML instead of dynamic PHP scripts
- Improved security because you can't hijack the website by accessing an old Wordpress instance. (To be honest: instead you can hijack the website by getting access to the GitLab.com infrastructure. But this is less likely to happen.)
Software to use
- My personal favourite is Hexo
- GitLab.com and GitLab Pages use Middleman
- Jekyll is popular
- Other software can be found at the GitLab Pages organisation
Some parts of the website can't be ported to a static website:
- Browse will maybe be difficult to port. Maybe we can cooperate with Fossdroid.com.
- Forum is generated by Wordpress IIRC. We could switch to something more modern like Discourse, but that's not needed.
- Wiki is made with MediaWiki and can stay like it is. It can also be generated by static files (not needed too).
- Creating a repository for the website: fdroid/fdroid-org
- Decide which software to use
- Build website with chosen software
- Switching from Wordpress to GitLab CI generated pages
@fxedel As the creator of the modern layout: what do you think of this?